Saturday 9 March 2013

Coconut Cream Datebars

So my blogging has been lacking the last couple of weeks. Where the time has gone, I have no idea, but there just hasn't been enough hours in my day, thus this was put on the back-burner. Such is life, however, and it is with much joy that I bring you today' delicious recipe!

I started my love affair with dates most recently. I have purchased my first container a couple months before Christmas, but was saving them for such as thing as today's recipe, in the hopes that I would have a processor before Christmas. I had never eaten a date on it's own. Then dawned that fateful day, at my in-laws abode. There are always ever-present dishes, laden with yummy delights, that are tantalizing and beckoning to be scoured for that one favourite treat. I know this sounds like their house is filled with candy, but really, these delicious treats are usually the fruit and nut variety. That day was no different, and in one dish, sitting along, sat a date. I was curious about the taste, thus I picked it up and bit into the soft, sweet flesh to discover a taste that was divine. As soon as I got home, I opened my container and proceeded to consume a few dates a day. Before I knew it, the container was gone and a new one added to my next grocery list.

It was only recently, with the arrival of my very own food processor, with all thanks going to some dear friends who blessed me with this gift, that I was finally able to use the dates for what I had first intended. The result was worth the many months of waiting.

Thus I share with you today the first flavour of datebars I have tried, the homemade version of the store available and widely loved "Larabar". Today's flavour is coconut cream and later on today I'm going to attempt some key lime bars, as my coconut cream ones are almost gone! I'll share that flavour with you another day. :)

I found this recipe on another fabulous blog, My Whole Food Life and you can see the original post here.

COCONUT CREAM DATEBARS
(gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan)



Ingredients:
(makes 10 bars)

15 Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
2 Tbsp filtered water

Directions:

- Add the almonds, cashews and coconut to a food processor.


- Blend on high until a fine, crumbly texture is reached


- Add the dates, coconut oil and water. Pulse until a dough forms. Scrape the sides of the bowl periodically to be sure all ingredients are incorporated.


- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, being sure it comes up the sides of the pan. This is so the bars are easily lifted out once chilled, to cut.

- Pour the dough into the pan. Press down the dough mixture firmly, so it is well packed. Place in the fridge to set for an hour or two.



- Pull the bars out, via parchment paper and slice with a pizza cutter.


- enjoy and wrap for individual use, or place in an airtight container. Keep bars in the fridge. These should keep for a couple weeks, but I doubt they will last that long :)




Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment