My recent endeavours in the kitchen have been fun, experimental and a major learning curve. Cooking gluten free can be a challenge, but it's most certainly not impossible. If anything, I'm finding the challenge quite fun. My husband has been most encouraging and receptive to this new style of cooking, which definitely helps a lot.
Most of the recipes I've tried of late have gotten two thumbs up from a highly renowned food critic…Hayden. Some need improvement (but even I could tell that). But you know you've got a winner when you husband takes one bit and goes "Oh wow! This is amazing! You can make this every night and I wouldn't mind." SUCCESS! Unfortunately what I'm talking about is not a main dish, but more of a side dish. It's Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Cheese Bread (gluten free).
I will admit right away that this recipe I'm about to share with you is in no way at all my own creation. Through the sharing of friends, I got this recipe from another blog, which I encourage you to check out, especially if you are celiac or eating gluten free in general. Mom, What's for Dinner? is the name of the blog and it's full of delicious recipes I can't wait to try out! So all credit goes to the writer of that blog :)
For a full list of ingredient and directions, see the bottom of this blog.
CHEESY GARLIC CAULIFLOWER CHEESE BREAD
Steam chunks of fresh cauliflower till crisp tender. Let cool (I would do this step a few hours before you are ready to use it)
Rice the cauliflower. As I don't have a ricer, grating it worked just fine.
1 cup of riced cauliflower
Sometimes I like to pretend I'm on a cooking show, or that I'm a professional chef. Today I wanted to be like Chef Anne Burrell from the Food Network, so I crushed the clove of garlic under the knife, just like her. Cheesy right?
Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the cauliflower, along with one egg. Mix together. Add crushed garlic, dried oregano and garlic salt. Mix together.
Spread out on parchment paper which is on a baking sheet and form into a rectangle.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Take out and spread with garlic butter and more mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top. Put back in the oven until cheese is all melted.
Take out this cheesy goodness and slice up and serve.
Start off with your greens (we had baby spinach with a bit of oil dressing) with avocado on top. Then we had meatless spaghetti with rice noodles and our cauliflower garlic cheese bread. It was a fantastic, delicious, healthy meal :)
I encourage you to try it out! This recipe also works great for a pizza base!
CHEESY GARLIC CAULIFLOWER CHEESE BREAD
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 tablespoons softened salted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
*Optional Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the cauliflower florets into chunks and steam them in a steamer or on the stove until slightly soft for 15 minutes. Place in a ricer or grate.One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Make the Bread:
- Prepare your baking stone or sheet by spreading a small amount of olive oil on it and top with parchment paper.
- Transfer to the baking stone or sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a large rectangle.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.- Mix 2 TBSP butter and garlic in a small bowl and. Spread the butter and garlic mixture over baked cauliflower bread and top with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses.
- Place back in the 450 degree oven until all cheese is melted.
Slice and Serve! (Serves 2-3)