Thursday 14 February 2013

Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli

Pasta…mmm mmm mmm. Pasta is one of those feel good, carb rich, comfort foods that satisfy and fill and cause you to push back you chair, pat your belly and sigh with contentment. I especially have always enjoyed the "stuffed" pasta variety, such as tortellini and ravioli, the later of which is our focus today. 

As I've been venturing forth with my gluten-free cooking and baking, I've not ever taken the steps of making much in the carb department. I've done a lot of carb replacements with veggies (zucchini noodles for instance), but have only done a small amount of actual gluten-free carb foods. Well, there's nothing like building up to the point of extreme. How about just jumping right off the cliff and see if the wind will indeed carry me :)

That's how it felt, anyway, as I took a step forth and decided to try my hand at making some gluten-free ravioli. The results were amazing! I was oh so delighted and in awe that I actually succeeded. Yes, I had some trials and dough frustrations along the way (of which I now desire to try to improve upon), but regardless of those minor set-backs, we had ravioli for dinner….and it was good.

I found this recipe on yet another favourite foodie blog, Clean Eating Chelsey, and you can see the original recipe on her site here.
Be warned, this recipe should not be attempted by the faint of heart :P Oh who am I kidding, if I can do it, you definitely can! Give it a whirl and be impressed with your culinary skills, just waiting to be revealed.

Enjoy!



SPINACH AND MUSHROOM RAVIOLI
(gluten-free, dairy-free)

Ingredients:
(makes approx 8-9 ravioli)

2 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
2/3 - 1 cup water
3 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
10 organic brown crimini mushrooms (or your mushroom of choice)
1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour
2 handfuls fresh spinach
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste  

Directions:

- Combine your salt and all purpose flour in a large bowl. Add your water and olive oil and knead until a ball forms. (I added 1/2 cup of water first and then slowly added more as I needed it. You will need to play around with the amount. You want to form a dough. It shouldn't be sticky, but it should stay together when done kneading.)
- Set the dough aside in a bowl with cling wrap over it for 30 minutes.



- While your dough is resting, heat 1- 2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium saute pan.
- Add your mushrooms, onion, and garlic and heat over medium heat until tender. 


- Stir frequently and add your spinach for 1 minute to wilt.


- While your vegetables are sauteing, add your drained cashews, nutritional yeast, 2 Tbsp water, salt and pepper to a food processor (I began this process with the intent of using a food processor, however the machine would not work for me, thus I resorted to using my blender. This made it much more difficult. I will attempt this meal again once I finally own my own food processor).


- Process until a ricotta cheese like consistency is formed. 


- Add your "cheese" to your vegetables and stir until evenly spread.



- After your dough has rested for 30 minutes, dust a flat surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll your dough until desired thickness is achieved (you want it pretty thin. Due to my dough frustrations, mine remained thicker, but the results were still wonderful).


- Cut out dough circles. (I used my Pampered Chef biscuit cutters)


- Place approx. 1 tsp of ravioli mixture onto the ravioli cut out and then top it with another one. 


- Use a fork to press down the sides so they are secure.


- Place the raviolis into a pot of boiling, salted water, until they come to the surface of the water (about 3-4 minutes). 


- Serve with your favourite sauce!





Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment