Thursday 14 February 2013

Veggie Chow Mein

I love Chinese food. It's been one of my go-to weaknesses over my life. Specifically, I love my chow mein. If ever I went to an all-you-can eat buffet, or ordered in, I made sure I got my plate (or 2) or chow mein. When I was pregnant, all I would crave was my own container of this greasy, delicious food. Thus it was such a sadness when I realized that I could no longer order my beloved meal once I went gluten-free. That was, until recently, when I discovered a healthier, gluten-free chow mein alternative that I knew I had to try out at once! I found it on Detoxinista and you can find this original recipe here.

So, for all you chow mein lovers out there, you too can now continue to enjoy this meal, gluten-free, dairy-free, and oh so healthy :)

Enjoy!

VEGGIE CHOW MEIN
(gluten-free, dairy-free)

Ingredients:
(serves 2)

2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Tamari, to taste (gluten-free soy sauce)
Stevia, to taste
Spaghetti Squash "noodles". (1 small squash should suffice for 2 people)
Salt, to taste


Directions:

- Cook your squash ahead of time. Cut in half, prick with a fork and roast it in the oven for approx 30-45 minutes at 400 degrees.



-In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrots in coconut oil, until crisp-tender.


- Use a splash of water, if needed, to prevent sticking.


- Once the veggies are cooked, add a bit of Tamari and a few drops of liquid stevia, to taste.
- Stir well and then add your squash noodles.




- Toss well, until all the flavours have combined and the noodles are piping hot. If needed, add another splash of water to prevent sticking.

- Add a pinch of salt, and adjust seasonings to your liking, then serve immediately.


Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment