Thursday 30 May 2013

Mini "Corndogs"

Growing up I used to love eating corndogs. It wasn't a regular food in our home, but an occasional treat we were allowed to indulge on (or I would buy when out with my friends ;) ) There was just something about that processed corn bread surrounding that processed wiener on a stick that made me crave more! Greasy, drippy, rich….and deadly to be sure.

Well, my love of corndogs, while abated as I have a greater understanding of the harms of processed foods, lingers still, intensified when at a fair and that sweet, hot, greasy aroma floats upon wings of delight to my waiting nostrils. I pass by, although, somewhat reluctantly I'll admit.

Thus is was quite exciting when I came across this recipe for "healthified corndogs". I couldn't wait to try it out and I gladly say they turned awesome. No grease, chemicals, no deep fried, but delicious non-the-less. My entire family enjoyed these morsels and they will definitely be making a re-appearance in our home again.

I found the recipe on one my favourite healthy foodie blogs, Maria's Nutritional and Delicious Journal and you can see the original post here.

Enjoy!

MINI CORNDOGS
(gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free, sugar-free, soy-free)



Ingredients:

4 Tbsp coconut flour
4 Tbsp organic beef or veggie broth (I used veggie) (4 Tbsp = 1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp unflavoured gelatin
2 eggs
Hormone and antibiotic free, grassfed hot dogs

I tripled this recipe and it made 23 mini corndogs, so this recipe should make approx 8 mini corndogs.


Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini muffin pan.

- In a medium size bowl, heat the broth and mix in the gelatin to dissolve.



- Add in the coconut flour and eggs. Let sit for a minute to thicken up.



- Spoon about 1 Tbsp of breading in each muffin tin.



- Place a 1 inch piece of hot dog into the dough.



- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. (Mine baked for closer to 20 min)



-Enjoy



Option: Wrap the batter around the hotdog with your hands. Add coconut oil to a skillet on high, once the skillet is hot, place the corndog in the oil and roll around until all sides are cooked. The above recipe will make 2 corndogs. I will be trying this in the near future :D

Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment