Wednesday 21 November 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

With the Christmas season fast approaching, cookie and baking exchanges commence with gusto. I used to love participating in such festivities, however, now that I'm gluten free and my husband doesn't eat absurd amounts of cookies or baking, it's become rather pointless, as I would't be able to eat the goodies I received. That doesn't sound too fun to me, especially because I LOVE cookies and sweets and baking. Christmas baking is my kryptonite. This year, I have no choice but to abstain, and my hips will probably thank me for it :) I'm always trying to think on the positive side :)

BUT, that doesn't mean I can't do my own baking, turning delicious treats into gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and even dairy-free delights. It's a challenge I'm up for. It's been a while since I posted a dessert, and since I love cupcakes, why not another cupcake recipe. I think the world would be a better place if we all just ate more cupcakes, and the fact that you can now find "healthified" cupcakes, the guilty pleasure becomes more pleasure and less guilt. I'll take some of that!

Thus is was that I found the urge to make some chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. I couldn't resist, with the description that these cupcakes are like Reese's peanut butter cups in cupcake form, and I'm so glad I didn't. The results were nothing short of fantastic (although a few dropped in the middle, the taste was still incredible). They were rich, creamy, light and absolutely delicious! I'm still in awe that I can make a gluten-free cupcake that is just as light and fluffy as a normal cupcake and not a dense, edible doorstop. That is worthy of a pat on the back, if I do say so myself ;) Of course, I take no credit for creating this recipe, but instead went to my ever faithful cupcake book.


Ok, I won't keep you waiting any longer. Enjoy these decadent, rich delights and remember to be kind to your body this Christmas. Eat less refined sugar and empty carbs and use as much portion control as you can muster. You will thank me come the New Year when your clothes still fit.

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES 
(gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free)

A treat so good, I guarantee your family and friends will have NO CLUE it's gluten-free! 


Got my ingredients!

Ingredients:
(cupcakes)

BATTER:
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup organic coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 Lg organic, free range eggs (TLC Farms)
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 cup agave nectar (it has been found that agave nectar has a higher fructose content then high fructose corn syrup. I recommend playing around with the recipe and substituting honey or maple syrup instead of the agave.)

FILLING:
1/2 cup creamy roasted peanut butter (you can use natural peanut butter as well)
1/4 cup agave nectar (again, experiment with honey or maple syrup if you like)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 muffin cups with paper liners.

To make the batter, in a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, grapeseed oil and agave nectar (or substitute).

Blend the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture with a handheld mixer, until thoroughly combined. Make sure there are no almond or coconut flour bubbles you missed.

To make the filling, in a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, agave nectar (or substitute), vanilla extract and salt and mash together with a fork until smooth.

Scoop 1 Tbsp of the filling into each prepared muffin cup.

Then cover with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted 1/2 inch from the edge of the cupcake (to avoid the peanut butter centre) comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.

Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 1 hour, then frost and serve. 

While the cupcakes may be dairy free, I chose whipped cream for a topping, thus no longer making them dairy-free. You could make a coconut whipped cream, and so keep this cupcake completely dairy free, if you so wish. 

The recipe called for a chocolate ganache topping, however, these cupcakes are so rich on their own, I think the ganache would set them over on sweet factor. Because this cupcake is already quite sweet, the whipped cream was refreshing and didn't need any further sweetening, just plain whipped cream, whipped with my hand mixer.


Enjoy this yummy treat!

Happy  Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment