Friday 2 November 2012

Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes

If there is one rule I abide by when it comes to food, it's this: Breakfast food can and should be enjoyed at any mealtime. I love to eat breakfast food for supper especially. If we go out to a restaurant and there is the option of anything remotely breakfast related, I'll most likely order it.

Pancakes are one of the best breakfast foods, in my opinion. The leftovers make great peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the next day for lunch too.

With my gluten sensitivity, I've had to tweak my other pancake recipes, causing my light and fluffy creations to become, well, flat as a pancake. I don't love paper thin pancakes, I like thick, moist pancakes. Pancakes should be a filling and substantial comfort food! Those flat pancakes have become a disappointment to me.

Until one day I discovered something fantastical! That's right, fantastic+magical=fantastical, as is what I'm about to share with you.

A new recipe of pancakes that I thought I would endeavour to try out and transform into gluten free. I was skeptical that my pancakes would be as deliciously thick as the ones pictured on the website, but I'm all about trying new things. The results were nothing short of, you guessed it, fantastical! Hayden even proclaimed whilst eating, that these were the best pancakes he's ever had! That's quite a statement that made me smile and warmed my heart.

I found this recipe originally on Pintrest (I knew there was a good reason I was addicted). The original recipe can be found here. I'm not the creative genius who created these pancakes, I just transformed them into a gluten-free version and I'm positive if I never told you they were gluten-free, you'd honestly have no idea. These pancakes were like individual, flat banana bread loafs, and they will be making a return to my kitchen. Our wee one also loved this recipe and devoured her pancake bits. We could hardly keep up!

Hope you enjoy!

BROWN SUGAR BANANA BREAD PANCAKES



Ingredients:

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 lg ripe bananas, mashed
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:

- In a large bowl, combine flour, backing powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it. 
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry.
- Add in mashed bananas and mix.
- Add in melted butter and stir until batter is somewhat smooth.


- Heat a skillet or grill on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top and/or pancake has lost it's "sheen".
- Flip and cook for a minute or two more.
-Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve hot with your favourite toppings and enjoy!


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment