Wednesday 31 October 2012

Lentil Tacos

Mmmm tacos. I could end this post right there. Taco's are one of my favourite fast foods (meaning it takes practically no time or effort to prepare it). It's perfect for those days when we are on the go and I'm running out the door in the evening.

To be honest, I thought my taco days were over. Not wanting to eat highly processed foods, how could one possibly construct a delicious taco without resorting to those fabulous taco kits in a box. Well, it was easier then I thought, after I actually took the time to give it some thought. :)

For a while now, I've been replacing ground beef with lentils. It's awesome, and when cooked and mashed up, has the same consistency as ground beef, and once you add spices, there's hardly a difference, in my opinion anyway. So we had a start. I went looking through my cupboard for my favourite taco seasoning to add to the lentil "beef", but as habit would have it, I instinctively read the ingredients list and couldn't believe all the junk crammed into that little packet of goodness. Yikes! I had to come up with a better alternative. I began racking my brain about what to do. Then it hit me. Epicure! Duh! I have a cupboard full of Epicure spices which are just beautiful and don't have all those nasty filler ingredients or sugar added. I decided on the Avocado Dip Mix and it was perfect! Just the right flavour I was hoping for. You could use any mixture of spices that you like, giving it more heat or a new twist on flavour.

Thus with all my ingredients laid out, I set out to make this oh so easy, quick, family and kid friendly dish, which is also gluten-free and can be vegan and dairy-free as well.

LENTIL TACOS

After your lentils have been cooked and mashed, spoon a generous amount of lentil "beef" onto your tortilla of choice.

 I decided to slice up some avocado for my taco, as a topper (I have quite bland taste buds). Hayden grated some cheese and had sour cream on his. You can do whatever you like best. We like to keep it simple.

Then add all your favourite taco toppings, we chose to add some organic baby spinach and call it a night. Be as creative as you like with your tastes! 


The finished product was quite delicious. This recipe will definitely be a return guest in our home. Plus, it's a meal that can be easily adjusted to each individuals' tastes, without having to make 5 different meals. Hope you like it as much as we did.

Ingredients:
Serves 2-3

1 cup organic green lentils
2-3 cups water
spices of choice, to taste
toppings of choice
tortilla's (Whole wheat or Brown Rice)

Directions:

- Add lentils and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender. Time can vary but approximately 15-30 minutes, depending on the amount of lentils you're cooking. If your water is disappearing, add some more.

- Drain and rinse lentils, return to pot and mash up with a potato masher. Add spices till desired flavour is acquired.

- Build your taco on your tortilla of choice using your favourite toppings.

- Enjoy!

 Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment