Wednesday 17 October 2012

Kale and Broccoli Soup

There's so much to learn when it comes to cooking and trying new things. When I try out recipes from other people, the perfectionist part of my personality emerges from the depths, and I expect to get proper results. This is not always, nor will always be the case, as I've come to accept.

Thus, as mentioned, today's Kale and Broccoli Soup is one of the recipes I tried that, while still turning out delicious, did not turn out the way the original recipe was intended. It was supposed to be creamy, smooth, and a soup that slid down the throat with decadent ease. What I got was gritty-chunky and watery, thus becoming a soup destined to be chewed, at the risk of choking. A vita-mix will pulverize those little bits of kale and broccoli to a nice smooth puree, but a normal blender has a tougher time doing that (the vita-mix is on the wish list ;) ). When I saw that I wasn't getting the desired texture, I started blending less to make this a more chunky soup, instead of becoming a purely gritty one. Also, I was missing tahini, which would probably have added the desired creaminess that I was hoping for. Next time I'll be sure to have some on hand.

Regardless of texture mishaps, this soup was extremely tasty and filling, it just wasn't what I was picturing, therefore, initially I was disappointed. But I soon forgot my disappointment while I indulged in this flavourful soup, along with a homemade gluten free garlic cheddar muffin.

I came across this recipe at one of my "go to" blogs for meals http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/. It's packed full of healthy, delicious recipes for sure. Check out the original recipe for this soup here with pictures of what it was supposed to look like :D.



KALE AND BROCCOLI SOUP

 saute some onions and garlic in oil

Add stock and boil 

Add Kale and Broccoli and simmer 

 Muffins are out!

Blend ingredients 

Enjoy deliciousness!

Ingredients:

1Tbsp olive oil
1medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups vegetable stock
1 bunch broccoli, chopped (6 cups)
1/2 bunch kale, chopped (4 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini (what I was missing :( )
Course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions:

- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and kale, turn heat to low, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tahini.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

-Blend the soup by using an immersion blender or transferring it to a regular blender. (If using a reg. blender, be very careful as the steam can sometimes cause the lid to blow off. It's recommended to allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before blending. Then blend in small batches on medium speed, while holding the lid down with a large pot holder or towel)

- Squeeze lemon wedge over soup. Serve hot.

Hope you enjoy this delicious soup. Perfect for a cool, fall evening.

Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment