Thursday 11 October 2012

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burritos

There are some days that you just don't want to turn the oven on to cook a meal. Even though I'm home with my little girl, supper time comes quickly and with it, the stress of "what should I make?!?" I've tried to ease this stress by coming up with a weekly meal plan, which has been extremely helpful and reduced an element of chaos in my life. As I've gotten older I've certainly desired organization in my life. When I have a cleaning and cooking plan for my week laid out, I feel like I can do anything and it's not too much. Anyone out there get where I'm coming from? I definitely still have a long way to go in order to bring order to our home, but little by little I'm getting there. It always feels good when I get something done.

Thus, in my search for meals last week, I went to one of my favourite blog sites http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/, to see what ideas I could find. As usual, I was not disappointed.

The following recipe was a glorious discovery and simply delicious, not to mention easy. You can go to the original post here, but I have the details below as well. Forgive the horrible pictures. My camera is being cranky as of late, thus all my pics are not up to par, nor have they been for quite some time. A new lens is on the wishlist :)

CHICKPEA AND SWEET POTATO BURRITOS

 my ingredients ready to go. I like to have it all ready before I start cooking.

 Gluten free wraps! yay!

 Got my ingredients frying

 Ready to eat!



Nom nom nom

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil (I used grapeseed oil as I didn't have coconut oil)
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
4 sprigs fresh rosemary (I wasn't able to find any, so I used fresh basil and it was awesome!)
1/4 tsp Himalayan rock salt (I used Celtic sea salt)
2 cups cooked chickpeas *
2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes**
Toppings of choice: chopped romaine, fresh tomatoes, avocado, spinach
gluten-free brown rice tortillas

*I recommend buying dry, bulk chickpeas. You will need to soak them overnight in water the night before you wish to make this recipe, so be sure to plan ahead. Then cook your chickpeas a couple hours before you wish to make supper, so they're ready to go.

**Be sure to blanch the tomatoes first. Follow package instructions

Directions:

- Melt coconut oil (or whatever oil you choose to use) in a large cast iron pan on medium heat. (I used my big Pampered Chef pan and it worked great.) Add sweet potatoes, onion, rosemary (or basil) and salt, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.

- Remove from heat and add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve.

- Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap, as a salad topper, or mixed in with some leftover rice.

And that's all there is! I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment