Wednesday 23 January 2013

Coconut Lentil Curry

With the ever dropping temperatures upon us these days, I find myself drawn to comfort foods with an every increasing desire. Probably because I need the extra energy as I shiver it all away. Thus, with the nip in the air tonight I thought, why not, let's post a yummy recipe.

Indian flavours are increasingly becoming a favourite of mine, especially since I'm able to make it without the heat kick that my pansy mouth abhors. Thus, when I first discovered Coconut Lentil Curry on one of my favourite foodie blogs For The Love of Food, I was delighted and eager to try it! I have since made this dish several times and love love love it! If you like the flavours of coconut and curry, mixed together in one succulent dish, you'll also love love love this! Thanks Sonnet for this profound dish!

Enjoy!

COCONUT LENTIL CURRY
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp curry powder
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 carrots, diced
2.5 cups organic vegetable broth
1/2 can of organic coconut milk (about 1 cup)
1 cup organic green lentils
dash of cayenne pepper (for those who like a bit of a kick. I omit this part)
salt and pepper to taste

Rice, quinoa, millet or any grain of choice to put the lentil curry on top of, if you so choose. Cook according to specifications.


Directions:

- Add the olive oil to a pot over medium heat.
- Add the yellow onion and saute about 5 minutes, until translucent.


- Add the cumin, curry powder, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, garlic, ginger, and carrots and saute for about another 2 minutes.


- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and lentils (and cayenne if you choose to add it) and bring to a boil.


- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. (If too much liquid has evaporated, add more vegetable broth or water).


- Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper and serve hot over your grain of choice, or enjoy on its own.



Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment