Sunday 6 January 2013

Portobello Mushroom Pizza Bites

As the end of the holidays sink in and still being tired from the craziness, I haven't felt like doing much cooking. I honestly feel like I need a vacation now. Somewhere hot, on a beach, with a book, and leave me be for 7-10 days. Hmmm….wouldn't that be nice. Ok, back to reality. Right, cold, winter, January blues even?

So with this lethargy upon me and not really taking good care of myself of my little family since returning home, I decided I better give some thought to supper this past Friday. No more cop out "breakfast suppers" or "soups", not that those are bad, by any means, but when it's all that you're making, somethings gotta change. And change it did! Not only did I decide to make something different, I thought I would be creative and make something up, inspired by a picture I saw on Pinterest. How I love thee, oh Pinterest. The results were amazingly delicious. I call them "Portobello Mushroom Pizza Bites!" I say bites loosely, for if you could eat one of these in a single bite, you either have the biggest mouth in the world, or you're not human haha.

Thus, to the store, with baby in tow, I went to pick up the goods for this trial supper. It was easy to prepare, simple, relatively quick and like I said before, super delicious! I think that even the kids will like this new, healthier take, on pizza. And it's gluten free! yay!

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA BITES
Gluten-free, can be made vegan and dairy free if alternative toppings are used.





Ingredients: Feel free to change up toppings and cheese to your own specifications and likes and dietary needs.
serves 2

4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
Classico Olive and Garlic Sauce
TLC Farms Ground Beef
1 Yellow Pepper - chopped
1 Green Pepper - chopped
1 Small Zucchini - sliced
Fresh Basil
Parmesan Cheese - shredded
Marble Cheese - shredded


Directions:

- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- Fry up ground beef. Add spices, salt and pepper. I used some Epicure guacamole dip mix and truffle infused sea salt.


- Wash mushrooms and remove stems.



- Scrape out inside of mushrooms.



- Put a layer of sauce in the bottom of the mushroom.




- Add a layer of ground beef and then chopped up yellow and green peppers.
- Add some shredded parmesan cheese.
- Add a layer of sliced zucchini.


- Add shredded cheese on top.


- Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Turn the oven to High Broil and Broil for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is browned.
- If mushrooms need a bit longer to cook, turn oven back to bake until mushrooms are hot to the touch. Thicker mushrooms will need a few more minutes, thinner mushrooms should be ready after the broil.


 - Enjoy this delicious and healthy alternative without the carbs!




Happy Eating!!!

4 comments:

  1. So yummy! Thank you for sharing! I didn't have ground beef so I substituted ground chick peas and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like a delish substitute! You made it even healthier :) Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks! It tasted even better then it looked :)

      Delete