So with this lethargy upon me and not really taking good care of myself of my little family since returning home, I decided I better give some thought to supper this past Friday. No more cop out "breakfast suppers" or "soups", not that those are bad, by any means, but when it's all that you're making, somethings gotta change. And change it did! Not only did I decide to make something different, I thought I would be creative and make something up, inspired by a picture I saw on Pinterest. How I love thee, oh Pinterest. The results were amazingly delicious. I call them "Portobello Mushroom Pizza Bites!" I say bites loosely, for if you could eat one of these in a single bite, you either have the biggest mouth in the world, or you're not human haha.
Thus, to the store, with baby in tow, I went to pick up the goods for this trial supper. It was easy to prepare, simple, relatively quick and like I said before, super delicious! I think that even the kids will like this new, healthier take, on pizza. And it's gluten free! yay!
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA BITES
Gluten-free, can be made vegan and dairy free if alternative toppings are used.
4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
Classico Olive and Garlic Sauce
TLC Farms Ground Beef
1 Yellow Pepper - chopped
1 Green Pepper - chopped
1 Small Zucchini - sliced
Parmesan Cheese - shredded
Marble Cheese - shredded
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- Fry up ground beef. Add spices, salt and pepper. I used some Epicure guacamole dip mix and truffle infused sea salt.
- Scrape out inside of mushrooms.
- Put a layer of sauce in the bottom of the mushroom.
- Add a layer of ground beef and then chopped up yellow and green peppers.
- Add some shredded parmesan cheese.
- Add a layer of sliced zucchini.
- Add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Turn the oven to High Broil and Broil for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is browned.
- If mushrooms need a bit longer to cook, turn oven back to bake until mushrooms are hot to the touch. Thicker mushrooms will need a few more minutes, thinner mushrooms should be ready after the broil.
- Enjoy this delicious and healthy alternative without the carbs!