I discovered this smoothie by way of a dear friend, who made this smoothie herself and told me about a most life-changing book called The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimbery Snyder. Thought the recipe is from her book, I have tweaked and changed it up a bit, to suit my tastes, while also keeping the essence of the smoothie intact. For Kimberly's exact recipe, please refer to her book, The Beauty Detox Solution.
GLOWING GREEN SMOOTHIE
1 head organic romaine lettuce
1-2 generous handfuls organic baby spinach
2 stalks organic celery
1 organic pear
1 organic apple
1 organic banana
Juice from 1/2 lemon
approx 1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (optional)
- Wash romaine lettuce, tear up and toss in your blender (you need a good blender in order for the blades to completely blend up the greens. Mine is an Oster with all metal components, but one day I hope to own a vitamix :) )
- Add some filtered water (not too much. If you find your smoothie is too thick, you can always add more later. If you add too much right away your smoothie will be more reminiscent of juice. I speak from experience :) )
- Once all the lettuce chunks have been broken down, add your spinach. Keep your blender running during the entire process.
- Chop up your celery stalks and add them.
- Next we have our fruit to add!
Always be sure to wash your fruit thoroughly before eating. We use "nature clean" fruit and veggie soak concentrate.
- Chop up the pear, discarding the core, add to the blender.
- Chop up the apple, discarding the core, add to the blender.
- Chunk the banana and add to the blender
- Slice your lemon in half and juice 1 half of it. (tip: heat the half of lemon in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. A heated lemon will yield more juice then a cold lemon).
- If you so choose, add approx 1 Tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil to the blender. This will give it a nice, creamy consistency, as well as a nice flavour.
- Once everything is blended well, pour into glasses and refrigerate until smoothie is chilled.
- Drink and enjoy!